Share

Back

ABOUT US

HISTORY

FIRST YEARS
In 1609, King Philip III accepted, by Royal Letters Patent, the patronage of the “Diputación” for himself and the King and Queen of Castille, his successors, it being stipulated in the Constitutions, that were ratified by Philip IV, that the “Diputación” or Board that would govern the Hospital should be made up of natives of the Seventeen Provinces of Flanders or by their descendants.
 
In 1621, the architect, Juan Gómez de Mora, was given the task of making a new building in calle San Marcos that would lodge the Hospital and church in which in 1638 the painting ‘The martyrdom of Saint Andrew* was hung that Rubens had been commissioned to paint by Jan Van Vuchr, one of the benefactors that with his legacies and donations contributed to the fulfilment of the Foundation’s charitable aims.